If you break a CFL, the Environmental Protection Agency recommends you take the following steps:
- Open a window to disperse any vapor that may escape and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
- Carefully scoop up the fragments and powder with stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a sealed plastic bag. Use disposable rubber gloves if available and do not use your bare hands.
- Wipe the area clean with a damp paper towel or disposable wet wipes and place them in the plastic bag.
- Place the plastic bag in a second sealed plastic bag and dispose of in the trash.
- Do not use a vacuum cleaner or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.
- For carpet cleaning and additional information on CFL disposal, see the Energy Star CFL page by clicking here.
ERWIN UTILITIES is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER