Fiber Optic Technician
Install new and existing fiber services to residential and commercial customers. Troubleshoot and assist customers with fiber optic services. Work with fiber optic contractors on installing new fiber optic services. Installation and maintenance of last mile fiber infrastructure, including splicing. Install and maintain communication systems used to operate the electrical, water, and fiber optic systems including mobile radio, SCADA, automation equipment, load management, relaying and fiber optics. Assist in managing materials related to fiber optics maintenance and installation.
Associates degree from two year community college (Computer Science/Electrical Technician preferred); or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Fiber splicing, cable tv/phone installation, computer networking, and customer service experience preferred. Experience and certification operating a bucket truck and climbing utility poles is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Install new and existing fiber optic services.
- Assist customers onsite with new and existing fiber optic services.
- Survey and meet with fiber business customers to help plan new business installations.
- Install and trouble shoot fiber optic drops.
- Fiber optic splicing.
- Assist in managing materials for fiber department.
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to the fiber optic system.
- Writes construction work orders for fiber construction projects; surveys; draws maps; prepares construction layouts; splicing sheets; and draws as-built plans.
- Checks on fiber construction plans for additions or modifications.
- Verifies design plans for new fiber construction.
- Estimates quantities of supplies, materials, and equipment needed to carry out maintenance, repair and construction of fiber optic system.
- Handles customer correspondence, complaints, inquiries, and resolves issues dealing with fiber system.
- Works with management team to ensure financial stability of Erwin Utilities.
- Maintains and installs network related equipment and electronics for fiber optic network.
- Troubleshoot fiber issues and aid in determining fault locations in conjunction with fiber optic contractors. Trouble shooting includes equipment on every part of the system from core routers to home networking of customers. Onsite visits to customers premise may be required.
- Share equipment and design knowledge with fellow employees
- Support network projects and oversee contractors
- Ensure the accuracy of all records and oversee project budgets
- Test new equipment, methods and procedures before implementation and document results.
- Assist in training new or part-time engineering employees in areas of mutual responsibility. Supervise temporary employees when these employees are assigned to assist with specific duties.
- Perform other duties including performing the duties of other positions as necessary.
- Serve in on-call rotation for after-hours, high-level support for fiber optic and electric systems.
- Performs any other duties as requested.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org